Saturday, December 4, 2010

Funny How

A song can bring us back to times in our lives..... 

Just cause I was cleaning.... and on random 2 songs came on... 
Ever notice they mean different shit to everyone ??? Different moments... Some songs you can actually still cry... or dance to... or think of a moment... a person... and still smell them... the room you were in.... 

There's a butt load of stuff on my Ipod it's not like I listen to Avril lavigne on the regular... but I'm cleaning and I put this on to fight the bordum....
I hear Avril "Girlfriend"


Reminds me of that super hot day in June 2007. Brad's roommate Amy at the time had it on her Myspace ... (how I remember this I have no idea... butttt)  I took the day off cause Brad and the crazy freak bitch that lived down stairs from me (Before she was a crazy freak bitch) 
Kinda like this

But with much better bangs...
 We went to Rock and Roll Karoke on a Monday night's... (Still goin strong I hear)

And WHAT an amazing night that was .... NYC... Not your usual Karoke *mind you* You sign up.  No tv to read off of.... You get a stand with a book of lyrics.   A REAL BAND.
I'm talking guitar... bass ... drums.  You're on a stage.  You get to be a fucking rock star.  No cheating here friends.  NEW YOURK NUT SACK YOU BETTER HAVE....You get the Karoke Bible... (which technically was a book of lyrics) But if you chose the damn song you shouldnt read from it honestly.... But that's just me....

I initally chose "Joey" Concrete Blonde...

Sadly... some Jersey skank Got up and butcherd it.  

So I changed my song choice...
I went with Poison ..."TALK DIRTY TO ME" More fun I figured... 
My "Friend" chose Blonde "One way or another"

Look... I'm not amazing... I clapped... but as extraverted as she was she TOTALLY choked.  She FROZE.... voice cracking... she sang it looking down ... reading from the book... stiff as a board.  

I felt so bad for her.... Well Now I don't cause she's satan's spawn... but then I felt bad... I applauded.... 
Well... let me preface this that before any of us got up there... some guy taps me and says... TONIGHT YOU ARE THE BIBLE BITCH... I'm like WHAT???
He says: Every week a pretty girl brings the book to the stage and puts it on the stage but we make it this big production so I'll stand back here... signal the dry ice smoke and announce the bible bitch in which then I tell the crowd to part... like the parting of the seas and moses and shit... hahaha....

And urged me to walk seductivly ... I'm like .... "Em... Er...  ok? Thanks? I think... ?" hahaha.... It was pretty cool... 
Anyway he annoced  THE BIBLE BITCH"  The room parts... I slink through the crowed that had moved for yours... the one and only "Miss Alex now BIBLE BITCH"  get on stage... the guy makes some cute jokes ... etc etc... I kind of blushed but acted like it "Always happens" 
Shit... I'm Fonzie... Cool no?

Hahaha.... 
Anyway... So Stiff chick gets off stage then they announce "Miss Alex singing Poison TALK DIRTY TO ME"


Well... I wont lie.  I can't sing. I was a smidge nervous... But I knew the lyrics....I didn't need that damn book... oh and by the way ----> (Fuck you you know you owned the album don't lie)  Sooooo I get up there... start singing... the room is dark... light in my eyes... well drunk on whiskey I just fucking ROLL WITH IT..... I start wailing... jumping up and down... on my knees...


The crowd goes wild... the more they loved it ... the more I felt like a rock star... terrible as it was... MAN I ROCKED THAT ROOM it was AMAZING... CC PICK UP THAT GUITAR AND TALK TO MEEEEE WHOOO WHOOO WHOOOO.... hahahaha... I still giggle... it was outstanding... I mean what a rush... seriously... I'd do it all over again... what a magical summer... 
Sorry off topic... Anyway

 We get off the bus ... drunk ... tired... Still buzzing with happiness ... Brad insisted on going to work. I begged him not to...  That night is when I named him by the way ... right at my corner... that corner where the bush rounded off ... (I dub just about everyone nicknames...right when I meet them... it just comes to me...  that Night he was forever "The Brad")

Anyway tangent tangent..... I called out *cough cough*


Slept in. Sooooo I wake up at about 11... refreshed...

Ahhhhhhh.... 
Put my AC on the sun shining rather BEATING in through the window.... It was one of those perfect sunshine days... 
You know the ones....   White minimal clouds.... window cracked... coming through my sheer white curtains....  I rarely took days off then. So I didn't feel guilty.
 And I'm in bed watching Vh1 Avril Girlfriend ... I call him... he of course felt like a crack head who'd been smoking all night crust and destroyed ... at his desk (probably pretended to work or push pencils around at that point) no doubt wanting to die

... he still admits he should have called out ... and me giving him the ahhhhhh I TOLD YOU SO...... 
Hell who goes to work after being out till 4.30 ... ?  Or was it 5?  God if I remember.... All I knew I was in bed... Big White fluffy comforter... AC on... refreshed watching TV....Taunting and giggling to Brad all in good fun...
 It was hot but amazing with the AC on and my window cracked and the sun shining....My first summer... Hell first 2 weeks... in my new apartment...  everything was new and exciting...   still packed up and I'm relaxing loving it... still feeling like a young girl then.... No worries ... It felt like an amazing vacation... just enjoying my AC in bed.... 
And this one...

Avril Lavigne...."I'm with you" 
Again... Summer.  2003. It was also June.  I remember loving this CD.... playing it over and over.... Much younger then too.... But I had 2 moment.  
#1.  It was HOT that summer... I had no AC... just a fan... and man that summer was brutal... a fan and spray bottle with cold water...

 I had just got done moving my stuff into my bedroom.... boxed and in the middle of laying on my RUG no less... looking up... loving the newness of it all...  I went into my new bathroom... My new shower with a lovely window cracked an amazing breeze ...   I could see the lovely green grass of the yard..... I showered and that breeze that cooled me off... No one home... and sang it at THE TOP OF MY LUNGS.  

And trust..... I CANT SING. But it felt soooooo good to take a cool shower in my new house ... Just me... and that cool water and the breeze... and that song stuck in my head... No radio... Just my head .... and just for a moment to get the June heat off my skin.....
And the Second memory? 

#2.  I had one extra credit in college.... Ok I was on the 10 year plan... whatever...*eye roll* still 2003  (Before the shower story cause I graduated in May) ..... My friend BEGGED me to take a singing class..... ambivalent I did... Fuck I'm a psych major and all my extra credits went to art classes.... I do that well...
Fine.  I'm a good sport I'll try anything once... Even knowing I'd KILL everyone a slow painful death singing...

I did.  He (the professor) taught us what range we were.... how to train to be stronger... breathing technique.... using our chest ... etc.  He took it seriously.
I felt wrong in that class.  We had only one task.  Our passing grade deepened on our final and showing up obviously.  So long as he felt you tried you passed.
2 songs.  On Piano ... Alone.  Mid semester we had to practice practice practice.... Well initially I practiced the song I always sang (because I felt comfortable?) Madonna Take a bow. 

She's in my range... it sounded good... I won't lie.... It did.  He liked it.  But Honestly?  I didn't want to do that one.... thinking back I should have.  I always push the envelope. 
I chose Avril Lavigne "I'm with you"

and Norah Jones... Ok Norah... ok.... it was ok.  I tried but this one.... was ALLLLLLLL WRONG for me... but damn it I tried.

Please go to youtube and check it out... you have to see the range at the end.  Her last "I'M WITH YOUUUUUUUUU"
Man... Dog's howling ran away.  But I sang it with passion I say... PASSION. 
I got up on that stage.... handed her the sheet music.  The professor shocked because he expected Madonna... (again... thinking back... had I sang Take A Bow) would have been amazing.
But I say do things that you are not good at..... with passion... fail.... but fail well... fail with passion and NO ONE will hate it.
It wasn't good.... but I got lauded for my balls to do it.  I got a B.  That was fine by me.
That's all... I just wanted to share that.... Hell it sounded awful... and it's on video somewhere... but hell.... I'm a good friend and signed up for it cause she didn't want to do it alone.  With all the amazing singers in that class... I'm talking too much talent... Opera shit.  I got up in a dark room on a stage with warm yellow lights above me....

Singing to only piano.... You can't cheat when it's piano... it was tolerable... till that last "aaaayayayaaaa ayayayayayaaa ayayayayayaaaaa I'm with yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"
Man... but so amazing to me.  Do something you'd never do ... 

Once a day.... Try it... you'll never regret it.... 

 Be afraid and do it anyway.

I think Avril would be proud of me *smile* I am.
Well I finished cleaning... and giggled and had to post.... I just had to... Great .... it's 7 a.m. Tomorrow's gonna suck... *smile* Oh well.... 

1 comments:

Kal said...

What a great story. I was always the guy who did theatre and musical theatre in my group. And I also played football which made the highschool guys head's explode. They used to have a recording studio at West Edmonton mall where you could do your own tracks. I have a whole cassette side of me and my buddies doing old Motown like 'Dock of the Bay' and 'Lean on Me' and 'Wild Thing'. I would have loved to hear your Avril version or any version. 'Joey' was a great choice too. You are so awesome and you tell the best stories in that fantastic stream of consciousness way. Forgive my gushing. NY girls just rock to much.