Saturday, February 7, 2009

COMIC CON-FIRMED

I SAY IT OUT LOUD ONCE AND ONLY ONCE. BRAD IS RIGHT. OK?

I've known Brad (Chachi now for 2 years feels like my whole life) and he's been getting on my case about how I think he's a Comic nerd and how I shouldn't judge until I've tried blah blah... I'm not a comic gal. Sorry. There are only few comic things I've liked growing up.

#1. Wonder Woman. She's a woman. She has a rope that makes you tell the truth and she has a jet. She rules.

#2. Superman. 2 words. Christopher Reeve.


#3. Spider man. He's a simple guy I like simple characters. And he shoots webs also they showed him on The Electric Company. I'll save that for another post... but you should check out the link. and then there's
#4. THE INCREDIBLE HULK ...
Let me say this. This man gave me nightmares like nobodies business. I'm serious. I was like 6 or 7 maybe even younger and that was on TV. I'd wake up at night in tears.

So last night I take the train into NYC and I'm supposed to meet brad at the Javits Center. I have have no idea where this is. He tells me to walk to the water. I just assumed. I walk to the East River. Guess where it is? ON THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAY.


Fine. Fine. I did the unthinkable. I took THE BUS. *This would be an incredible hulk moment for me in case you were wondering* It was probably the only time I'll ever take the bus again. Anyway, I get there, I'm not there 5 minutes and I see a chick dressed like a clown comic of some sort and I hear some dork say the word 'Teleport' as he passes me. For a moment I want to turn back and run as fast as possible. But I promised. *eye roll*

Damn it I promised. We go in... We're walking around... I couldn't believe how many freaks were dressed up. And I swear to you... this was a straight up nerd convention. I tried very hard to keep the laughter inside.
Then we're walking and we pass a booth where no other than THE INCREDIBLE HULK himself is standing. Lou Ferrigno. I totally freeze in horror. I know... I know... it's totally irrational. but I begin to sweat. Brad urges me to go talk to him. I can't... for once in my life I couldn't talk to someone... picture that?

p.s. Why did did it always take something huge to piss David Banner off to turn him into the hulk? Had that been me I'd be at my cubicle at work... I'd get some bullshit e-mail and suddenly I'd be green knockin' shit around... Anyway... moving right along... Please enjoy this clip... set to amazing disco - tribal - sad violin beat.

*You're Welcome*
We walk on by. A short time later he says that it just wouldn't be right not to. So I face my fears. I get in line. There's this one tub - o- lard guy standing in front of me. Just yucking it up with Lou..for like what seemed to be 20 minutes... all the while he's looking past him at me. I'm totally sweating at this point. My heart was racing.


The guy FINALLY leaves. I approach slowly with a shy and frightened smile. I said to him. "Em... I had to come here to tell you... You gave me such nightmares as a child... " I told him my name and we shook hands. His hand swallowed mine. He smiled at me and looking and smiling and shaking my hand ... Kind of tugging on it... He apologized again and again... I'm so sorry...
smiling at me... Now I thought this was in my head but he was not overtly, but kind of flirting with me... I was totally blown away... This guy... that was a monster in my mind all this time IS FLIRTING WITH ME? ... wow... I was totally flattered ... and half blushing and sweating... all at the same time. Brad's just kind of standing there rolling his eyes...

It was in no other words but Fantastic.

After we left there we walked around some more... 2 fucking storm troopers passed us. I swear it was surreal. All these grown men dressed like super heros. There was a HUGE laugh factor..Oh why didn't I have a decent camera? I did take this on my cell phone... check out the princess Leia muffs in the back... I got to get me some... *giggle*
This only brad will get but check out Denise and Deb rolled into one... I passed this table and found this vintage Superman Magazine. Amazing. 1981. From Super man 2. "Kneel Before Zod" Here are some photos of the inside of it. I had to snatch this up. There are really amazing pictures in it ... Old adds ... Check out this one for Atari cartridges...
One in particular for a Superman Phone only 129.00!
Do you know how much 129.00 was in 1981? Doesn't this phone look lovely in their office setting? So professional... So Brad and I did exactly what you think we did. We called the 800 number and tried to order one... LOL... obviously the line was busy... people are probably falling over trying to order these. Toward the back of the mag there were celebrity profiles on the actors. What they've done etc... Check out this fabulous shot of the evil girl character outside of her costume off the set...
When she's home in her spare time she's Super Hoe... Defender of saggy tits ... and skanked out choches everywhere.

Bitch After all that we went downstairs to the bottom floor to hear a lecture on The Twilight Zone. One of my favorite shows of all time. *and the reason I went. It was pretty good. He discussed It's influences on future television and film and art that influenced the show itself. I couldn't stay for the entire lecture. By this point I was starving to the point of a headache. so we left. Jumped in a taxi and headed downtown to one of my fav places The Village. Where Bob Dylan's long lost brother was our waiter. After that... Back uptown for some drinks.... and on the bus back home. It was to say the least Quite an evening.

You were right Brad. I had a good time. You win.
I woke up with The WORST hangover. What's even sadder is all I had was 2 glasses of wine and half a beer. I need to start eating more... or adjusting my drinks to my new diet.

Good Times Brad Good Times...
Love Wonder Woman


10 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Sounds like it was fun! You know what would have been cool? If you answered the Superman phone by talking in one foot and listening through the other.

Nah, not so cool after all...

Kim said...

My BF is a huge comic book geek. He used to own a comic book store, and is in the process of buying another one to open this summer. Our basement is full to the ceiling with back issues he's going to use as store stock. They smell like moldy diapers. I am *SO* not into comics.

That being said, I went with him this past summer to Comic Con in San Diego.
http://thekrue.blogspot.com/2008/08/so-many-stars.html
I have never seen so many nerds in one place IN MY LIFE.

I did have a good time, though. We stopped in Vegas first for a few days, so that helped my mood. I got to meet Ben Garant from Reno 911, and that was a blast. So, all in all, comics aren't so bad.

Except for all the nerds.

Dr Zibbs said...

Whoa! you look hot in that outfit.

Coffeypot said...

I like THAT Wonder Woman's picture you posted. She's hot, rope and all.

Miss Alex said...

Ha Ha thank you.

It was my responsibility to look 'hot' as I was working a club door in Manhattan Halloween night that year.

I also had my best friend dress up as super girl. she hung out at the door with me all night. It was quite the spectacle. Thanks!

Dr Zibbs said...

Can I give you a shout out and put the picture of you on my blog.

Miss Alex said...

Dr. Zibbs tis only a few honored that get shouted on your blog.... I am happy to be one of them...

shout away!

Dr Zibbs said...

And one more thing. I used to go to Javits all the time for trade shows.

Robot Nine said...

I knew you would be hot. Now I know Napoleon Dynamite is going to have a great New York City trip!

Alan

Miss Alex said...

Thanks Alan *blush*